Villa Daniela is located in Koutsounari, a small seaside village, which can be found just 8km east of Lerapetra and 43km southeast of Agios Nikolaos, It is close to the picturesque village Agios Ioannis which sits nestled in the Thripti mountain range. Situated on a lush green hillside surrounded by many olive groves and pine trees, the Villa overlooks Long Beach on the South Cretan Sea coast which lays just 1 km away.
Within a radius of just 1 km you will find almost everything you require to enjoy your stay at Villa Daniela. There are several mini markets for your daily supplies, a pharmacy, medical services and several excellent, seaside taverns and restaurants.
Most important cities in the area:
- Ierapetra, sits about 8km to the west and offers a vibrant town centre with many shops, restaurants and cafés. It also has a beautiful promenade, Within the town oriental as well as modern quarters can be found, as well as a museum, hospital and full medical services.
- Agios Nikolaos, sits about 40km to the north of Koutsounari and is the most cosmopolitan city to be found in the East of Crete.
- Sitia sits up in the far north east of Crete and is about 50km north of Koutsounari.
- The airport and the city of Heraklion lay about 100km away, north west of Koutsounari.
Natural attractions in the area:
- The spectacular canyons of Sarakina, Ha, Richtis, Perivolakia
- The famous Chrissi island a Natura 2000 protected area and an officially declared ‘area of intense natural beauty’. Many local guides and boat owners offer daily boat trips to the this paradise island (www.chrissi.gr).
- Xerocampos (Sitia): Can be found by car roughly 1 hour away. It is definitely worth a visit to experience the areas immense natural beauty and amazing beaches.
- The Palms forest of Vai.
- Spinalonga: the famous fortified island sits just of the coast in front of Ag.Nikolaos The island is known for its history (especially for its former use as a Leper Colony) as well as for its starring role in the book and homonym movie ‘The island’.
- Mirtos: is a picturesque coastal village to the west with a large, wonderful beach, romantic promenade and many restaurants and cafés. Mirtos is the very definition of typical Greek village architecture.
Are you a golfer? Then it is certainly worth visiting the superb golf club which can be found at Hersonnisos (85km from Villa Daniela). The course is uniquely Cretan in look and feel and it sits high up on a dominating plateau overlooking the sea.
Beaches in the area:
- The Long Beach of Koutsounari (with both natural and organized areas).
- Achlia: a small bay of breathtaking beauty only 4km away. Umbrellas and sunbeds are provided for use. The beach also sports an excellent tavern.
- Agia Fotia: small picturesque bay 3km away. Umbrellas and sunbeds are provided. The beach also has its very own tavern.
- Many other small deserted beaches lay hidden in small coves or secreted between small hills ready for you to explore.